Sunday, March 24, 2013

Recipe Test: Whole Wheat Yogurt Bread

Credit: munchercruncher.blogspot.com

Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:


  • Yogurt
  • Honey
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Yeast
  • Salt
  • Butter
  • Water

Okay I am SO EXCITED about this recipe!  This bread is awesome and worth the effort!  Of course I haven't had much bread over the last 3 months so I'm probably overexcited but ... WOO HOO BREAD!  

The first time I tried it I used just plain 'whole wheat' flour.  It turned out wonderful!  So much less dense than the other bread I'd made... 




This week Hubby specifically requested MORE so I made two batches.  I decided to get creative and see how it would turn out if I used a different flour.  I had whole wheat pastry flour & white whole wheat flour in the house so one I made all pastry powder - the other a mix.  


I also used a wet rag instead of plastic wrap this time ... My mom made the most amazing bread and this is always what she did as she "let it rise" ... 


One of the loaves I decided to put some Herbs de Provence in just to see what it would be like ... if it works I could add ALL KINDS of stuff!!!  

First thing I noticed is they look nothing like last time ... much 'whiter' and didn't rise as much.  The smaller one is the same amount - just a smaller bread pan was used.  


If you look closely you can see the herbs ...



Hubby said he thinks this batch tastes more "corn bready" ... and definitely more like white bread than wheat.  Me?  I like the plain whole wheat flour better ... it ends up a bigger slice so you can put it in the toaster.  Even so - this one tastes good.  I mean seriously - IT'S BREAD DAMNIT!  YUM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.