Saturday, March 2, 2013

Recipe Test: French Bread

Credit: keephomesimple.blogspot.com

Click here for original recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Water
  • Yeast
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Oil
  • Flour

This is another recipe that called for white flour that I decided to try with white whole wheat.  The amount of sugar is just two tablespoons and basically to 'feed' the yeast.  I did use raw cane sugar.  I'm not sure if trying honey would work - maybe I'll try next time.  

Photo Credit: keephomesimple.blogspot.com


This recipe turned out pretty good.  Not 'French Bread' exactly because let's face it french bread is meant to be light and white.  My version was dense but really quite good.


I used one loaf for breakfasts last week - just throw in the toaster and top with all fruit jam.  But the reason I'd made it was actually to turn the other loaf into bruschetta - for that it worked wonderfully!  Again - not quite french bread but once coated with olive oil and toasted it had that crunch that you need for bruschetta! Plus it is surprisingly easy to make so I'd say no matter if you use white or whole wheat flour give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.