Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Recipe Test: Kale, Spinach & Mushroom Pie

Credit: recipes.sparkpeople.com

Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Olive oil
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Mushrooms
  • Kale
  • Spinach
  • Feta
  • Cottage cheese
  • Dill
  • Eggs
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Phyllo dough
I knew I would have enough phyllo dough for two recipes so searched for recipes and when I saw the amount of veggies in this I knew I had to give it a try! 


We are talking about a whole bunch of kale ... about 16 ounces of spinach ... onions, mushrooms ... I mean look at the pic above of the 'innards'!  Other than a little cheese and eggs this is all veg.  Sadly I'd accidentally used all my feta on the 'pizza' the other night so I ended up subbing monteray jack - but it worked just fine.  

Very spanikopita- like results: 



See why I took a pic of the 'innards' .. you'd never think this was a majority veggie meal by looking at the results!   I did ignore the 'cooking spray' directions this time and brushed melted butter on the layers of phyllo dough... MUCH BETTER results! 


There's dinner!  This one is not only "Hubby Approved" but "Hubby went back for THIRDS!"  He loved it ... of course while still bitching about my 'false advertising of pizza' while complimenting me on this meal.   Oy ... he's all mine ladies - I know you are jealous! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.