Thursday, March 7, 2013

Beet it!

So last week I ended up with what I thought was a GI bug that knocked me out.  I started having diarrhea on Monday night and it didn't stop until late Wednesday ... NO FUN!   I'd thought about food but when I still felt awful on Thursday I figured no way would a food issue last that long - plus though I've never had a tough stomach I've never had a specific food allergy or intolerance so when it came to foods I was wondering more about e-coli or some other kind of bug.

Then I woke up last night and it all started again!  I don't usually like to take Imodium because my thought is whatever is the reason your body needs to get the offender OUT - hence the diarrhea   But this time I took it immediately.  I knew I could not have more sick time off work!   I made it through today but feel awful.  I've been wracking my mind trying to figure out what the common denominator could be ... then it hit me.

Photo Credit: www.tar-tryin.com
 BEETS!  Last Monday I had a juice with 2 beets in it and I did that again yesterday.  It was the red in my stool that had me making the connection because it had freaked me out so much at first.   If you've never eaten beets beware - your poop turns RED ... blood red!  Your urine can also have a pink tint after eating them.   I'd had them over the last couple of months but usually just a part of a small one in juice - not two med-large beets in one juice.  In my goal to get more veggies in I've been experimenting with flavors and beets have a sweetness that I thought would let me use less fruit.  I did NOT expect this.

After just a little searching on-line I found out that I am not the only one who has an intolerance or allergy to beets:

"If you have a sensitive gastrointestinal system or have irritable bowel syndrome, eating beets may cause you gastrointestinal discomfort, including bloating, flatulence, abdominal pain and cramping. Changes in your bowel movements -- including diarrhea or constipation -- may also occur when eating beets. Keep a food diary to write down the foods you eat and your bowel symptoms to establish a relationship. If you only experience these problems when eating beets, and you get relief when eliminating them, the solution to your problem is simple. However, if you seem to have problems with other foods, consult your doctor to find the exact cause(s) of your problem." 

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/496161-the-effects-of-beets-on-bowels/#ixzz2Mtszljrg

So buy buy beets or as Michael Jackson said "BEET IT!"  (heee heeeeeee!)

Photo Credit: www.starlightsf.com -

PS --- recipe for homemade pedialyte - it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.