Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Recipe Test: Brussels Sprouts and Noodle Stir Fry with Cilantro and Almonds

Credit:  www.bhg.com

Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Whole wheat spaghetti
  • Olive oil
  • Red onion
  • Garlic
  • Brussels sprouts
  • Ginger
  • Crushed red pepper
  • Chicken broth
  • Soy sauce
  • Carrot
  • Cilantro
  • Slivered almonds

Spaghetti and brussels sprouts in a stir fry?  I know - that's why I felt like I had to try it!  It smelled good as it was cooking.  Hubby saw the ingredients on the counter and picked up the soy sauce and said "Tell me you are not putting this in PASTA!"   When I explained it wasn't really a pasta dish but more of an Asian stir fry feel he said "Tell me you are not putting Spaghetti in a stir fry."  I showed him the recipe and he said "Oh ... sounds soooo yummy." in a monotone voice and shuffled back downstairs to watch TV clearly thinking to himself that his dinner was about to suck.   

I kept going giving it a chance ... you never know!   Here's the end result: 


It was good!  The brussels sprouts worked like cabbage does in Asian dishes.  The almonds were a great touch.  I'm not sure the cilantro did anything for it but hey - adding any green leafy veggie is never something I'll complain about now!   The spaghetti was broken up into one inch pieces so it worked.  I guess it makes sense that it would be very similar to the noodles in Asian dishes - after all it's basically just flour... the taste is really in what you put with it.  

Hubby once again I think let his "not as advertised" get the best of him.  He saw the spaghetti on the counter and immediately thought pasta for dinner - he loves any and all pasta dishes.  He ate it but gave me a couple of looks during dinner that said he wasn't happy.   I just gave him my look back and said "when you cook you can pick the dinner.  In fact if you'd even agree to clean up AFTER I might let you pick the dinner."   Response?  Grunt ... "No ... it's good."  Correct reply... good hubby.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.