Saturday, March 2, 2013

Recipe Experiment: Bruschetta & Shrimp Bake

This one is actually me starting with a recipe but going off on my own from there.   Click here for the original recipe for Italian Shrimp Bake from 4kowboys.blogspot.com.  It is really mainly shrimp but you'll see I added quite a bit too it ... I'm getting brave here!

INGREDIENTS:
  • Shrimp
  • Green Onions
  • Mushrooms
  • Butter
  • Olive Oil
  • Emeril's Italian Essence seasoning
  • Italian 3 Cheese Blend 
  • Lemons
Like the recipe I sliced the lemons and put them on the bottom of a casserole dish.  From there I put the shrimp, mushrooms and green onions in and poured the melted butter over them.  Then I sprinkled the seasoning all over it.  I cooked for the recommended amount of time on the recipe.   Then I removed the lemon slices and sprinkled the cheese on top and put it under the broiler until it was bubbly and golden.  



I used my whole wheat 'french' bread and made bruschetta.  First brushing olive oil on either side of the sliced bread and then putting under the broiler on low until golden with browned edges.   



Then I rubbed a clove of garlic on each slice while it was still hot and flipped it over to toast the other side.  After that side was done I rubbed garlic on that side and then drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with just a dash of salt and pepper.   Add a side salad with homemade ranch dressing and you've got dinner! 


Hubby deemed it a success!  I didn't tell him I went off recipe until AFTER I had his verdict of course!  What was funny was that he thought I'd ADDED the shrimp and that was the one thing I didn't add!  

Personally I agree it was a success but next time I would forget the lemons and the green onions.  I'm not a huge fan of lemon in seafood like so many people are - honestly I'd just rather have plain old butter.  The butter was in there but you couldn't really taste it because of the lemon.  The mushrooms worked but the green onions ended up soggy.   Again - I was trying to get veggies.   Using the bruschetta with it was really good though.  Definitely a successful experiment and one I'll be sure to play off of in the future!  It was quick, easy and very few dirty dishes which is a big benefit in my book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.