Sunday, March 24, 2013

Recipe Test: Chicken with Basic Pan Sauce

Credit:  How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman

Sorry - no link as this is from a cook book.  If you are interested in it here is the link to purchase it.

I had a bit of an Uh Oh moment last night when I went to cook dinner & realized I'd forgotten to get one of the main ingredients at the store...  whoops!   There was little in the house since it was Saturday night and my grocery trips are usually Sunday morning so I had to improvise.  That may not sound like a big deal to you ... but as a new cook - um that's SCARY!

I had 2 chicken breasts in the freezer and found the recipe in my cook book.  Then I improvised on some veggie sides.


The recipe is super easy.  Just blot your chicken with a paper towel, then season with salt & pepper.  Dredge in flour before cooking.  You cook it in an olive oil & butter mixture browning each side until the chicken is almost done (still a little pink in the middle) and then finish it in the oven while you make the pan sauce.  


The recipe called for just a bit of parsley but I figured the more green the better so chopped up about twice as much.  


While the chicken was cooking away I got the sides started.  In one I put some olive oil, a chopped red onion, bell pepper and then just before the chicken was done I added broccoli - didn't want it mushy!  Just a little salt & pepper as seasoning. 


In the other baby spinach sauteed with some butter.  I LOVE just basic spinach with some butter and pine nuts for crunch! 


The pan sauce is easy too!  I didn't have the white wine it called for so used 3/4 cup of chicken broth & a Tbsp of white wine vinegar.  Otherwise you just let it reduce as you scrape the bottom of the pan. When there is about 1/4 cup of liquid left you add a tab of butter.  Add the parsley at the end & pour over the chicken ... Dinner is served! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.