Saturday, March 2, 2013

Recipe Test: Eggplant Salad Sandwich

Credit:  prouditaliancook.com

Click here to see recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Eggplant
  • Tomato
  • Mozzarella 
  • Arugula
  • Bread crumbs
  • Oil
  • Balsamic vinegar

This is the same site I've used for a couple other recipes that were a hit so when I saw this I immediately put it on my next meal plan!  Plus Hubby loves eggplant and I am definitely becoming a fan of it as well.  The recipe isn't quite a recipe ... more general instructions assuming that you are able to cook.  So this is something that 2 months ago I think I probably would have failed miserably at but because of my previous experience with eggplant as well as frying the tofu not too long ago everything went well! 

I didn't quite follow the recipe, instead I first I put the sliced eggplant in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour - flipping it over at 30 minutes.  This helped to remove the moisture from the eggplant so it wouldn't be mushy.  


Then I used the eggwash and a mixture of whole wheat panko and regular whole wheat bread crumbs with a  little salt in it for the batter.  


For Hubby I did use the 3 slices of eggplant to make the full 'sandwich' like in the recipe but for me that was just way too much food so I just did two slices of eggplant and one layer of the cheese, tomato and arugula.  

Hubby's Triple Decker
My one layer with extra greens!

The extra balsamic vinegar to dip in made a big difference!  You can't exactly eat this like it is a real sandwich ... okay so maybe you can but I didn't try.  I just cut it up into pieces and then dipped every forkful into the vinegar.  A big hit with both Hubby & I - will definitely be making again!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.