Monday, May 20, 2013

June comes early

I went to the grocery late Saturday and loaded up for my 'Just Do It June' ... yes I know it isn't quite June yet but since I had no goal in may I figured I'd get a head start on June's!  

As you can see I'm fully stocked! 



Green green and more green! 


That huge container in there is the leftover paella and this was after a week of eating it!  


And of course the juice bin is ready!


Say hello to my new blender!   I was looking at the vitamix but come on - $400 for a BLENDER?!  Seriously?  Not unless I go vegan or raw and am using it constantly.  For now I asked around and my neighbor had gotten one of these Ninjas.  She said it worked well and really liked the fact that you could blend single servings - it comes with two little containers as well as the big one.  Of course on my first go I had to use the big one!


Tah dah!  (Up close it looked like confetti.   Recipe to follow shortly.)   The blender is LOUD but really? Who cares.  It is working well so far and no smoke or just plain old quitting like my last one.  

My official start is today (Monday 5/20) as Hubby has left on business travel so I don't have to worry about him.  However I'd already started eating closer to my plan this weekend.   Friday night we went to McFoster's (if you are in Omaha try it!: http://www.mcfosters.com/) and I had an awesome salad!  They call it a health nut salad and it has literally everything in it!   From the menu: 

"Charbroiled peppers and oinions, honey glazed pecans, tamari roasted cashews, blanched brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and other veggie treasures decorate Omaha's #1 salad adventure.  Whole wheat garlic bread and raw milk cheddar or vegan mozzarella on the side."   

I just had a half order because their full size is huge!  The dressing I chose was Ginger, garlic, lime, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and honey ... I have to figure out how to make it at home! Sooooo good!

Saturday I had 2 eggs and an apple for breakfast.  Since doing the veggie paella I've decided to experiment with tumeric and threw some on my eggs ... yum!   And I had no idea that tumeric is one of those spices that is supposed to be really good for you.  

From ingredientsinc.net: 

Turmeric is a great source of vitamin B6, essential for maintaining your blood vessels and preventing heart disease. This spice is also a great source of iron, manganese, potassium and fiber. Turmeric has been called a “magical healing substance”.  It contains curcumin which is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Because inflammation is a contributor to so many diseases, including Alzheimer’s and arthritis, the curcumin in turmeric is a precious find.
  

Of course I just think it tasted good!


Saturday for lunch I had the smoothie you see above in the blender.  For dinner I had leftover paella - of course!  (Sunday that damn paella went in the garbage!) 


Sunday I had a date with my bestie for lunch and shopping.  For breakfast I had eggs again - with tumeric!  I also had hot tea with lemon - no honey!   Before I left to pick up Bestie I tried the green juice recipe that I'll be drinking this week.  Not bad!  (recipe to follow!)


And for dinner a salad that has become a favorite of both mine and Hubby - "Farmers Market Salad" ... sooo good!  

I did have a caffeine withdrawal headache in the afternoon and felt a little fuzzy without it but that was expected since I tend to have 2 cups of 1/2 caff every day.  Not too bad though!  It'll be out of my system fast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.