Monday, May 20, 2013

Recipe Test: Savory Flax Crackers

Credit:  omnomally.com

See full recipe here 

INGREDIENTS:

  • Flax meal
  • Grated Parmesan cheese
  • Dried chili flakes
  • Salt
  • Eggs 


Okay so the picture is awful.  Basically it ends up being a very sticky dough that is tough to roll out - I was worried.  But they turned out pretty good.  Not regular cracker good ... they are definitely health food.  But I actually like health food now so ... 

The chili powder gives them a serious kick!  I will not be using that much next time.  Or I'll try some other seasoning.  Good for a snack this week and the flax is supposedly really good for you.  From what I've read there is some evidence it may help reduce the risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke and diabetes.  It has omega 3 fatty acids, lignans and fiber.   I made them this week because in my research on what I'd need if I wasn't eating meat or much dairy one of those things was the omega 3 fatty acids.  Plus I figured these would make a good quick 'grab & go' snack for middle afternoon.   Little did I realize that the chili powder in them would make me drink A LOT of water and I found out that it has it's own health benefits.  One of my smoothies called for chili powder and I was like "What the ?!" so googled it.  

Vitamin A, vitamin C, minerals ... it's surprising - check it out:  http://www.livestrong.com/article/434794-chili-powder-health-benefits/


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.