Saturday, May 11, 2013

Recipe Test: Carrot Ginger Coconut Sesame Rice

Credit: peachypalate.com

Click here for full recipe

INGREDIENTS:
  • Brown Rice
  • Carrots
  • Sesame seeds
  • Coconut milk
  • Bragg's Aminos or Soy Sauce 
  • Fresh Ginger
  • Garlic
  • Coconut oil
  • Shredded coconut

Clearly in this week's meal planning I had a thing for coconut!  I also have to admit I was curious to try a 100% vegan dish.  No I haven't made any decisions yet but let's just say that today when I went to do my grocery trip at Whole Foods I bought no meat ... only dairy.  Yes on purpose.  I'm thinking about it.  The eggs I have in the fridge right now are from a local farm I researched that truly pasture raises it's chickens.   They can't sell milk at the farmers market or I'd have gotten that from them too.  You can get milk from them but have to drive out (about an hour to get there) to their farm & they are moving right now to a larger location (so they can make cheese too!) so not taking visitors right now.   I think I'm going to make a trip out there and take a tour when they are settled.  They do butcher meat - beef, pork and chicken.   No way will Hubby ever become a vegetarian.  I may go for it - but it is good to know that I've found someplace that I could get it near here.  

So for my first vegan recipe ... well - at least my first on purpose vegan recipe!  


Super simple to make and takes very little time other than cooking the rice.  The coconut milk makes it super creamy!  The ginger & garlic smelled sooooooo good!
 

Sadly I didn't have aminos or soy sauce because Hubby got a bug up his butt last weekend and decided that all of the condiments we had in the fridge needed to be thrown out!  Basically he started cleaning the fridge and gave up mid stream.  While I was at the grocery he removed all of the drawers and shelves.  Wiped it down.  Nice thought but he stopped in the middle and left everything out.  Not to mention he threw out a lot of items that were perfectly good.  God love him.  (Cuz I coulda killed him!)

Anyway so I figured it would need a little salt b/c that's what the soy sauce / aminos would have brought to the dish.  It worked well.


I was shocked at how full I was ... I couldn't even finish this portion above!  It must be the fat in the coconut milk that did it.  It was good.  Almost cheesy in consistency.  I love roasted carrots - it really brings out the sweetness in them.  

Hubby HATED this but he can kiss my butt!  I liked it and will make it again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.