Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Recipe Test: Corn Cakes with Tomato Avocado Relish

Corn Cakes Credit:  annies-eats.com

Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Corn on the cob
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Cornmeal
  • Red Onion
  • Basil
  • Baking powder
  • Baking soda
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Eggs
  • Buttermilk (I used whole milk and it worked fine)
  • Butter
  • Oil for frying
  • Tomato
  • Scallion
  • Garlic
  • Lime
  • Olive oil
  • White wine vinegar
  • Avocado


The 'batter' on this one is pretty easy to mix up and get ready.  This is another recipe where you fry the patty until crispy. 


The recipe calls for you to keep the patties small - just a rounded tablespoon each.  I assume if you made them much bigger the middle may not cook enough.  


They turn a wonderful golden brown and you can still see the basil, onions and some of the corn.  These actually might be good for party appetizers with a ranch dipping sauce.  They'd cool off quickly but I suppose you could keep them in a warming plate?  


Here's dinner!  (I'll post the black bean side salad we had in just a moment.)  Since the salad I made was so much like the 'relish' in the recipe I decided to just have the corn cakes on lettuce with a drizzle of homemade ranch dressing.   Here's what the relish looked like: 


Tomatoes, avocado, basil, oil, vinegar and seasoning.  I put it on top of Hubby's dinner but decided it was all just too much food for me.  

Overall I'd say a hit.  Hubby approved!  The cakes remind me of cornbread on the inside but with a great crispiness from frying on the outside.  Next time I may make a salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado & onion and then make even smaller cakes and use them almost like croutons.  

Definitely worth making!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.