Monday, May 20, 2013

Recipe Test: Dr. Oz's 3 day detox smoothies

Credit: gardenercommunity.blogspot.com

Click here for full recipe

I found this above but it looks like it originated with Dr. Oz.  There are three smoothies on the link and I've now tried them all.

Raspberry, Banana Spinach Smoothie:

  • Water
  • Flaxseed
  • Raspberries
  • Banana
  • Spinach
  • Almond Butter (I used peanut butter)
  • Lemon juice


Not bad.  I thought it would be sweeter than it was.  I think the flax and peanut butter distracted from the sweet of the fruit.  I wish you could see in the picture - it is all confetti looking up close.  I had this Sunday morning for breakfast.  

Celery, Cucumber, Kale Apple Smoothie: 
  • Milk (I used whole but the recipe calls for Almond Milk)
  • Celery
  • Cucumber
  • Kale
  • Green Apple
  • Lime
  • Coconut Oil
  • Pineapple


I was a little nervous at these ingredients but it was surprisingly good!  The apple and pineapple give it a little sweet.  The celery, cucumber and lime make it really refreshing.  Bet this mix would be good a juice too.  The texture is a little crunch but I think I'll just leave it in the blender a bit longer next time.  I sipped it really slowly for a couple of hours this morning for breakfast.  

  
 Blueberry, Mango, Kale Smoothie

  • Coconut water
  • Blueberries
  • Mango
  • Kale
  • Lemon 
  • Avocado
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Flaxseed




I used frozen blueberries on this one so it had a nice cold smoothie vibe going.  The Cayenne pepper was a PUNCH!  This is the smoothie that I mentioned where I was like 'uh... what?! Pepper?!' ... it wasn't bad but I think I'll cut it down a bit next time with my wimp status when it comes to hot spices.  I had the remainder of the avocado and that was lunch today.  

For dinner today I had the leftovers of the farmer's market salad from last night and I made some juice from some random leftovers of sweet potato, apple, kale and cucumber. 


Result = STUFFED!   Other than a small headache from the lack of caffeine (having some tea to combat that now) and having to pee every five minutes I feel great!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.