Monday, May 20, 2013

Recipe Test: Spring Veggie Paella

Credit: foodandwine.com

INGREDIENTS:

  • Olive oil
  • Onion
  • Pimentos 
  • Tomato
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • Tumeric
  • Brown Rice
  • Chicken or Vegetable Broth
  • Parsley
  • Asparagus
  • Peas
  • Artichoke Hearts
  • Cannellini Beans

This is a meal I made early last week.  Hubby said "bland" and didn't touch the leftovers which sucked because there were A LOT of leftovers.  I finally threw out the rest yesterday as I'd had enough to be sick of it.  I did like it though.  I ended up adding more Tumeric (never had it before now and I LOVE it!) and a dash of salt to my individual servings to jazz it up a bit.  That worked really well.  


Tomatoes are making me so glad the weather is getting warmer.  I can't wait to get the backyard done and have my own veggie garden! 


I used my big cast iron pan for this as I don't have a paella pan... actually I have no idea what a paella pan even looks like!  But the recipe said you don't need one - any large frying pan will do.  



Asparagus from the farmers market .. I don't know why but I've always thought asparagus is pretty the way the green and purplish colors blend.   Of course after 'it's pretty' my next thought is 'here comes Hubby's commentary for the next 24 hours on how it makes his pee smell...'  sigh.  


The recipe didn't specify if the rice should be cooked or not so I put it in dry - thinking that it would soak up all that nice broth.  Problem is it took FOREVER - much longer than the recipe said ... we finally ate it when it was still a little crunchy because it was getting so late.   I think next time I'll partially cook it in the broth and then throw them in at the same time. 


It was really good and loaded with veggies.  Of course Hubby said "where is the meat?!" but tough shit ... I'm the one cooking!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.