Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Recipe Test: Whole Wheat Tortillas

Credit:  100 Days of Real Food blog

Tortillas have been on my 'staples' list for the grocery store for as long as I can remember.  Over the years I have switched from the biggest size of the snow white ones to the smallest size 'carb balance' ones.  Of course I had to find the one that tasted as close to the white as possible.  Now that I'm learning more next time I go to the store I'm curious to grab that brand and see what is actually in it!

I really thought this was going to be much harder than it was but it was so easy that I doubt I'll ever buy tortillas again.  My husband thinks they are a little too thick and 'doughy' but I personally love them!   (I'm secretly glad he doesn't because I want his paws off 'em!)

INGREDIENTS:
  • whole-wheat flour 
  • oil (the recipe suggested avocado oil ... I chose olive oil after I saw the $$ of avocado oil!)
  • salt
  • warm water 
Click here to see original recipe & instructions.  Makes 12 tortillas.

NOTES:
  1. The recipe says to use a heavy duty mixer with a 'dough hook' ?! ...  if you are completely clueless new cook like me you can try your brand new Cuisinart and pray it works ... it did!
  2. While they are cooking I found that it was best to keep moving the tortilla around in the pan to prevent burning - otherwise mine quickly puffed up and got some burn spots on the bottom.  I just used a spatula and gently pushed around. 


After they'd cooled I put them into a plastic baggie in the fridge and have so far used them for lunches with a little of the leftover chicken and lettuce.  I'm not sure how long they'll last in the fridge but they are going so fast I doubt I will ever have to worry about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.