Thursday, January 24, 2013

Recipe Test: Crisp Sesame Fish Fillets

One of the first things I did as I prepared to learn to cook was look for a true beginners book.  I do not understand why everyone suggests The Joy of Cooking - I have it ... have had it for years and I'm sorry it does NOT make it seem simple!   This one on the other hand I ordered and really like so far:


I decided to try what looked like a pretty easy fish dish using Tilapia that I had in the freezer.  (Yes I bought farm raised ... I hadn't read enough at that point - will be looking for wild caught or doing some more research on where my seafood is coming from before buying more!)


You literally need fish ... sesame seeds, salt, pepper, oil & pan.  Whole Foods has bulk sesame seeds so I got a decent amount.  My only note is that I probably didn't need to put all of them on the plate to do this - and I didn't exactly want to save the remainder after the fish had touched it ... not good to throw so many out.   Anyway, just take the sesame seeds and put them on a plate or wide bowl.  Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper and then dredge the fish across on both sides - pressing a little to get the seeds to stick. 


Pan fry in oil (I chose sesame, it seemed fitting).  The recipe cooks pretty fast so check often to avoid burning.  I think I got a little paranoid about that so lost more seeds than needed.  I also think I used too much oil but hey - I'm a beginner!  


Easy and tasty!  Dinner is served: 



PS - for that GORGEOUS side salad see my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.