Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Recipe Test: Home Made Granola

Credit:  100 Days of Real Food blog

So I knew this was a hit before I really tried it myself because MY HUSBAND ALMOST ATE ALL OF IT before I got to it!   I made this over the weekend as I prepped for my first week and though I did grab a quick nibble as I put it in the storage container I didn't go back to it until later to actually have some.  By the time I did that container had about 1/3 left in it!  And this recipe makes A LOT - more than the average cereal box that's for sure!

Easy and I tell you it is better than ANY scented candle or potpourri in making your house smell amazing!

Click here to see recipe & instructions.

INGREDIENTS: 

  • Rolled or steel cut oats
  • raw sliced almonds
  • raw cashew, walnuts or pecan pieces (I tried pecan this time)
  • unsweetened shredded coconut (I left out b/c I forgot to get at the store)
  • raw sunflower seeds
  • raw pumpkin seeds
  • ground cinnamon
  • ground ginger
  • ground nutmeg
  • butter
  • honey
  • vanilla extract
  • you also need wax / parchment paper


NOTES: 

Unbelievably easy!  Even a couple days after making it was super crunchy and had just enough spices / sweet to eat with a little milk as a cereal.   This is coming from the woman who adds 4 packets of splenda to most cereals!   Like the other meals I've tried so far I found I was full fast and full until lunch time ... no more 10:00AM grumblies!  

Clearly the only problem with this recipe is that I'm going to have to make more than one batch a week if the hubby keeps loving it too!   Or I could just add raisins ... he HATES raisins!   Of course I should have thought of that this time since if I add them now he'll know it basically is a neon sign saying "GET OUT!"  Eh ... I'll make 2 batches next week instead.  Want to try the coconut in there anyway! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.