Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Recipe Test: Whole Wheat Biscuits

Credit: 100 Days of Real Food Blog

The first thing I decided to make was not too much of a stretch ... um ... on purpose!  My husband is already walking around talking about how I'm going to burn the house down or kill someone with my cooking (sarcastic bastard loves to poke at me to get "the look" ... makes him giggle like an idiot!) so I feel the need to tread carefully to ensure an initial success here.

I learned to bake holiday cookies over the years so figured I'd try the baking recipes first.  Of course I won't pretend to be a CLEAN baker ... I get flour everywhere ... on every surface and always on the heads of my 3 dogs who tend to be underfoot anytime anything resembling cooking is afoot!  (rare but they all know the signals).  Since Lisa and her blog were my initial inspiration I thought I'd give her recipes a shot first.   So I tried her "Super Easy Whole Wheat Biscuits" ... yes the 'super easy' part did in fact jump out at me.  Not to mention I have a love of baking powder biscuits.  I figured these can't quite be the same as the KFC version but I have avoided those like the plague for many years now so maybe I can fool myself?  You know - like you fool yourself into believing diet soda tastes like regular soda after a while without regular soda?  Yep ... DENIAL and RATIONALIZATION are skills that my many many years of dieting have perfected.  I can go either way with them ... convince myself into being "good" as I lose weight on whatever my latest crazy diet is ... or the more effective convincing myself that I'm not being "that bad" as I gain back all I've lost and 10 pounds more!

I digress ... so I gave these a shot and I must say that easy they are and surprisingly yummy as well!  Do give them a try!

Click here to see recipe & instructions

INGREDIENTS: 


  • whole wheat flour
  • baking powder
  • salt
  • unsalted butter
  • milk (any kind - I'm going full game here so used whole organic milk)


I let mine cool and stored in a glass Pyrex container with a lid in the cubbard.  I figured out if I stick one in the microwave for just a few seconds on high it gets them nice and warm without making them rubbery.  Extra exciting part?  I CAN NOW HAVE REAL BUTTER ON IT AND STILL BE FOLLOWING THE RULES!!!!   Woo hoo!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.