Sunday, January 27, 2013

Recipe Test: Peanut Squash Soup

Credit:  100 Days of Real Food

Click here for full recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Peanut oil
  • Butternut squash
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Salt
  • Cumin
  • Coriander
  • Chicken stock 
  • Peanut butter
  • Tomato paste
  • Red pepper
  • Fresh cilantro


Easy to make.  I have to admit I had no idea what butternut squash was and forgot to Google it before buying so when the only squash I saw at Whole Foods said "Winter Squash" I passed it up and went for the cans.  I found cans with just one ingredient and figured it's soup so it's got to still work.  I was a little worried when I opened them and saw it was pureed instead of chunks of squash but then I figured again - it's soup!  I ended up using 3 full cans in it.   I also added some more of the spices because on a taste test it was a bit bland.  It made a bunch!  I had some for lunch and still had two containers left.  With hubby gone it looks like this will be lunch every day this week!  


It smells wonderful and has a good flavor.  I wouldn't say I "LOVE" it but I definitely didn't dislike it.  I may play more with seasoning each day as I go.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.