Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Recipe Test: Vegetable Fajitas

Credit:  100 Days of Real Food Blog

Dinner tonight was another recipe from my current 'go to' blog.  I must say, I'm a pretty picky eater but with this many wins from one place I think I'll be trying everything the blog ever recommends!   Funny thing is I almost didn't try this one.   I've forever been a 'no spicy' girl.  I can handle spice ... but not hot spice.   Simply, I'm the wussy who can't even handle medium salsa.  The mild version is even sometimes too much for me.   So any Mexican or Southwestern food always gives me pause.   And as I mentioned ... I paused with this one.  However I knew this would be week one and I needed all the help in organization I could get so I have stuck almost 100% to one of the weekly meal plans from the 100 Days of Real Food Blog ... and this recipe was on it so I gave it a try!





Click here to see original recipe & instructions.

INGREDIENTS: 

  • bell peppers (red, yellow, green or mix - your choice! I went with yellow.)
  • onions
  • mushrooms
  • Serrano peppers (optional and I chose the NOT option for obvious reasons)
  • cooking oil (I used olive)
  • Emeril's Essence (the recipe just says this - I found two of these at the store & bought them both ... Italian & Southwestern - obviously chose the Southwestern for this one ... I can't cook but I'm not stupid!) 
  • ground cumin
  • lime
  • butter

SERVE WITH: 
  • Whole-wheat tortillas 
  • Grated cheese 
  • Diced tomatoes, pico de gallo or salsa
  • Fresh sliced avocado
  • Cilantro
  • Sour Cream
  • Lime Wedges
  • Corn on the cob 
I didn't need enough for 4 people, just me so I got all brave (for me!) and just used one yellow bell pepper, one onion and about 1/2 a package of mushrooms.  I made the full amount of sauce but didn't pour all of it in.  The sauce was what scared me so I did a little finger dip test wondering if I should just leave it off ... but I'm happy to say it wasn't hot, just really flavorful!  I used my pre-made Whole-wheat tortillas from the fridge and just microwaved them until warm ... yummy!   For 'serve with' I sliced up a fresh tomato, a fresh avocado & some fresh cilantro, threw in a little salt and stirred together.  Put this mix on top with just a little grated monterey-jack cheese.  VERY GOOD!  

No need for side, no need to throw in my left-over chicken ... I just had 2 and I am STUFFED!  That's something I'm already noticing even this early on - I'm filling up fast and I stay full so much longer!   And I'm sorry but I'm super proud of myself ... I haven't burned ONE THING!  I haven't had one flop yet!  Woo hoo!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.