Saturday, January 19, 2013

Recipe Revised: Whole Wheat Lemon Poppy seed Pancakes

Original Recipe:  Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes
Credit:  100 Days Real Food blog

I saw a recipe on Pinterest for Lemon Poppy seed Pancakes and thought ooooooooh!   When I clicked on it sadly it would not fit the real foods diet guidelines I'm following but I saved it anyway wondering if I could figure out substitutions.  Click here for the original recipe (credit bakingwithblondie.blogspot.com) if you are game for using raw or real sugar.  Right now I'm sticking to maple syrup and honey as sweeteners as I learn more about the different kinds of 'natural' sugar and how processed they really are.

When I went into my saved recipes this week to figure out my meal plan I saw the picture again and decided to see if I could take the pancake recipe I'd used previously and instead of being banana make them lemon poppy seed. The recipe just said 1/3 cup poppy seeds and the zest of 4 lemons ... it really wasn't that different so I just decided to try that instead of the mashed bananas.


Other than poppy seeds being already in something I've never seen them.  They are really very pretty - all shades of blue and grey.


It worked!  This is just part of the batch.  Once again I am freezing them and then will grab one out of the microwave and quick microwave it in the mornings.  


It's hard to wait for breakfast to try them but I was a good girl!   

INGREDIENTS: 

  • Whole-wheat flour
  • Baking powder
  • Baking soda
  • Salt
  • Honey
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Butter
  • Poppy seeds
  • Lemons
  • 100% Pure Maple Syrup

UPDATE:  Oh my God SOOOOOO GOOD! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.