Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Recipe Test: Banana Pancakes

Credit:  100 Days of Real Food blog

I love pancakes ... I love bananas ... I passionately hate banana bread.  So this one was going to either be great or a big batch of dog treats!  I gave them a try because they were on the weekly menu plan I'd decided to try but also because the blog said that they are very easy to freeze and then just use as you go.  I love the convenience of things like frozen waffles in the morning so I thought this might be a good substitute.

Click here for full recipe & instructions.

INGREDIENTS:

  • whole-wheat flour
  • baking powder
  • baking soda
  • salt
  • honey
  • eggs
  • milk
  • butter
  • bananas
  • 100% pure maple syrup



NOTES: 

They were pretty easy!  I'm still all giddy about using my new toy (Cuisinart!) so I had fun making them.   The only issue I found was that the instructions to have the pan on medium - high was too much.  Maybe it is just my stove but the first couple burnt almost immediately.  Once I turned the heat down to medium low and took more time all went smoothly.  

I cut up wax paper to put in-between the pancakes and slipped them into a tupperware - pancake, wax paper, pancake, wax paper ... you get the point.  It made so many that I even though I made the pancakes pretty big it fulled a decent size container and I had to put the remaining 4 in a freezer bag.   As suggested I just opened the freezer in the morning and put one in the microwave for a bit until hot.  I sliced up a fresh banana on top and on went the REAL maple syrup!  I don't think I actually knew what maple syrup tasted like until this week.  The stuff at the store is a pale imitation of the real thing.  It is rich and dense and oooooh soooo naughty tasting!   You don't need much either.  I wonder if I were to literally put the portion of syrup I used today next to the portion of fake stuff I used if it would actually be less calories.   Who knows?   And on this diet I don't have to think that way!  

One filled me up until lunch time - and I'm usually hungry again about 10AM!   Another benefit - they did not taste like banana bread to me ... either that or I've avoided banana bread so long the that I may actually like it now?  That is possible ... uh oh - I just lost another excuse to not try something!  Okay ... I'll give myself a while before I break out a banana bread recipe ... I'm new at this so bear with me.   

Another one I rate as worth trying!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.