Sunday, February 3, 2013

Recipe Test: Quinoa with Avocado, Almonds & Honey

Credit: wholeliving.com

Click here to see original recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Quinoa (the recipe called for black but Whole foods didn't have any so I just grabbed the regular beige color)
  • Almond milk
  • Avocado
  • Sliced toasted almonds
  • Honey

I decided to make a batch of this today and use it for my breakfasts this week.  The picture from the recipe looked really interesting: 

Credit: www.wholeliving.com 


I don't know if the different colors of quinoa taste differently.  If I ever find black I'll definitely try it.  Whole Foods had "rainbow" which was $3 more than the regular ... I decided that I knew the regular would work having tasted it the other night at dinner.  I'll do some more research on the types and if they taste different or have different nutritional values before I go for the most expensive.


Definitely not as pretty as the picture from the recipe but I took a taste test before putting it away for later and it is YUMMY!  The avocado I got isn't ready yet but I'll be curious how it will taste with it. 

LATER:  I did find a resource on the different kinds of quinoa.  Click here to see it.  It says that white / ivory - the type I've now tried - is the most common & available.  Red holds its shape after cooking better and it notes that it is good for cold salads.  Black is supposedly "earthier and sweeter" - which would explain why it would be called for in this recipe.  Turns out there is actually quinoa flakes for an 'instant' breakfast - I assume like instant oatmeal.  Also there is quinoa flour.

UPDATE:  Avocado added ... eh ... don't get me wrong it wasn't bad but I could do without it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.