Friday, February 22, 2013

Recipe Test: The Life-Changing Loaf of Bread (my nickname for it is 'Birdseed Bread')

Credit: mynewroots.org

Click here for the recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Sunflower seeds
  • Flax seeds
  • Hazelnuts or almonds
  • Rolled oats
  • Chia seeds
  • Psyllium seed husks
  • Salt
  • Maple syrup
  • Coconut oil or Ghee
  • Water


When I saw the picture of this bread on Pinterest I was immediately drawn to it.  It just looked so strange.  When I read it I immediately saved it with the note 'have to try!' ... it was really easy - surprisingly simple.  And pretty much NO clean up because you just mix it right there in the bread pan ... which made me soooo happy!  Here it is before it went into the oven ... see why I nicknamed it 'Birdseed Bread'?  


It really doesn't look much different done.  I was worried it would be hard to get out of the loaf pan but it was super easy ... just plop there it was.   I didn't quite know what to store it in so just wrapped it up in tinfoil.  




It slices just like regular bread ... I think I should have baked it a little longer just to dry it out a little more but  after I put a slice in the toaster for a bit it was really good.  You can't help little bits of it coming off.  


A little all fruit jam on top (sweetened only with juice of course!) and it was a pretty good breakfast. I learned fast that it is filling enough I only need one small slice.  Sadly I cannot deem this recipe "hubby approved" as he HATED it.  Part of me was okay with that because then it won't disappear in two seconds!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.