Thursday, February 7, 2013

Recipe Test: Caprese Tart in a Whole Wheat Crust

Another dinner with two recipes!   The Caprese Tart recipe called for a crust but didn't give one.  I thought about using the crust from the quiche recipe I've made but then I figured I'd get brave and search for a new one!

Whole Wheat Pie Crust

Credit: keyingredient.com

Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Whole wheat pastry flour
  • Salt
  • Butter
  • Water

Caprese Tart

Credit: prouditaliancook.com

Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS: 
  • Olive oil
  • Basil
  • Parmesan cheese
  • Mozzarella
  • Tomatoes

I found the tart recipe on the same page as the zucchini boats and it looked SO GOOD I had to try!  The crust was pretty easy.  It was a little too hard to roll out at first but once the dough warmed back up again it worked.  Not sure why they tell you to put it in the fridge for half an hour??  Anyway ... the tart was really simple to make and if you think about it it's really just pizza.  Dough ... Olive Oil... Cheese... Tomatoes ... to me, that = pizza.  Just actual tomatoes instead of sauce.   


Here it is before going into the oven.  I just used grape tomatoes since I already had them from last night.  The recipe called for heirloom slices - I bet that is beautiful looking!  But alas it is February in Nebraska ... I'm lucky I can get grape tomatoes that are so sweet!

 

Here it is just out of the oven ... see, it looks like pizza too!  Like last night I did a salad on the side.  I have to admit I really thought I'd miss croutons but I love throwing in some seeds or nuts and they are so much better for you. 


Pine-nuts and pumpkin seeds for crunch.  Some more grape tomatoes ... I'm digging them right now obviously!  Homemade ranch and toss toss toss.  As I filled up our plates I soooo wanted to have more than one slice of the tart but I held it together and filled half my plate with salad instead.  


And no I did not go back for that second piece of tart!  I am happy and satisfied and not stuffed but not hungry.  Win for my portion control goal!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.