Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Recipe Test: Polenta with Crispy Peas & Roasted Shrimp

Credit: sunshineandsmile.com

Click here for full recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Shrimp
  • Cumin
  • Chilly powder
  • Pepper
  • Coriander
  • Salt
  • Oil
  • Green peas
  • Shallots
  • Polenta
  • Sage
  • Butter
  • Milk
  • Chicken broth
  • Cheese (Asiago)


I used my frozen chicken broth that I'd made last time I had Whole Chicken in a Crock Pot.  YUM!   The recipes make polenta sound like it is hard ... I'm not sure why.  I suppose because people just leave it like they would rice and it gets lumpy instead of stirring every so often?  


The shrimp in the spices.  The recipe says let them 'rest' for 15 minutes.  Okay ... I guess that lets the spices kind of soak in?  Who knows ... but onto the peas while the shrimp take a nap ... 


I was kind of perplexed by the instructions for the peas.  They seemed so simple I wasn't sure that this would affect the flavor much but I was wrong ... some oil, shallots the peas and a dash of salt and pepper - YUM!  These would actually make a pretty darn good side all on their own!


By the time the shrimp were roasted and the peas done the polenta was ready for the add ins of the cheese and milk and sage!


Here's the finished dish!  Polenta with the peas and shrimp on top.   I served it with a side salad but honestly I was STUFFED by the time I finished the main dish.  I forgot how filling polenta is and gave myself a bit too much.   Hubby's verdict "You redeemed yourself from those egg rolls!  Put this one in the regular rotation!"  ... he went back for a big bowl of seconds!  

It is a really interesting dish. The add in of the sage to the polenta made a subtle difference in taste. The kick of the shrimp along with the sweetness of the peas / shallots were perfect.  Both Hubby and I agreed that next time we'd double the peas / onions in the dish - they were just sooooo good!  

A big hit & I definitely suggest you try it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.