Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Recipe Test: Egg Rolls

Three Recipes used here:

Homemade Egg Roll Wrappers - Credit: i-brownbag.blogspot.com

     Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Eggs
  • Whole wheat flour
  • Water
  • Salt
  • Sugar (optional)

In making them I felt like I was making crepes.  I even ate one with a little maple syrup for lunch and it tasted very crepe like.   But they seemed like they'd work so I just set them aside as I made the rest.



Homemade Baked Egg Rolls - Credit: www.joyfuladobe.com

     Click here for recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Egg roll wrappers
  • Cole slaw mix (I just bought cabbage & chopped it up)
  • Mushrooms
  • Ginger
  • Soy Sauce
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Whatever else you want inside your egg roll  (I chose some shrimp)

Sweet & Sour Sauce - after looking at numerous recipes on-line I got brave and improvised to try to make my own!   

INGREDIENTS: 
  • 4 Tbsp Water
  • 3 Tbsp Honey
  • 1 Tbsp Brown Rice Vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp Siracha Sauce 
  • 1 pinch salt 

Two out of three worked out but the egg roll wrappers made this a big fat FLOP!  Rolling them up was tough because they easily tear.  I did finally get 8 to work and put them in the oven.


Coming out of the oven they looked crispy, but more like a burrito than an egg roll ... 





Sadly it looks about as good as it was.   The insides were truly yummy as was the sauce ... but those wrappers just killed it.  They indeed tasted like crepes and so it just didn't work together.  I'm not sure if you can buy minimal ingredient whole wheat egg roll wrappers but I truly doubt I'll be making this again if I don't find some.   It's not worth the effort.

Hubby's declaration:  "Your first big strike out honey ... this dinner SUCKS!"   ... yep!  I agree!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.