Friday, February 22, 2013

Recipe Test: Creamy Avocado Pasta

Credit: flourishingfoodie.com

Click here for full recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Tomatoes
  • Olive oil
  • Fettuccine noodles (used 100% whole wheat of course!)
  • Avocado
  • Lemon
  • Pine nuts
  • Parmesan
  • Salt & Pepper



I love avocados.  LOVE them!  So when I saw this pasta I thought ???  I just had to try it.  I'll admit as I made it I started to get a little worried though ... I'd printed out the recipe but hadn't looked closely at it and so when I realized there was no cream in this 'creamy' sauce I started to think this may end up tasting like guacamole on top of pasta ... yuck!


Looks like guacamole doesn't it?  I remained concerned as I stirred it into the pasta ... there is something about it that looked more like green slime than dinner.


Once I got it served up with the tomatoes, parm and pinenuts it did look better but I wasn't trusting anything until I tried it.   I thought this may turn out like the other pasta I'd tried - the olive one ... I loved every ingredient and hated the dish.  So strange.   Thankfully this one proved to be a nice surprise!


Hubby approved and so do I.   If I'd tried it without making it I would swear the sauce is cream based.  This would be perfect for the vegetarian or vegan (though I'd have to check if the pasta has eggs or milk obviously).  I served it with a side salad to give us more veggies ... a little homemade champagne vinaigrette on top and there is dinner. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.