Thursday, February 7, 2013

Recipe Test: Coconut-Almond Chia Seed Pudding

Credit: thecurvycarrot.com

Click here for full recipe

Saw this one on Pinterest and thought hmmmmmm I wonder?  I had just heard how good chia seeds are for you so even though some of the ingredients were not exactly on the guidelines I've been working with I thought I could improvise a little.

INGREDIENTS:

  • Almond milk
  • Coconut milk beverage
  • Agave nectar
  • Chia seeds

Instead of agave I planned to use honey and I thought I'd be good on whole foods ... um ... until I read the ingredients of almond milk & coconut milk!  Wow ... talk about barely made of almonds & coconut.  Well ... by that time I really wanted to try it so I rationalized 'everything in moderation' ... I mean look how great this picture makes it look: 

Photo Credit:  thecurvycarrot.com

Mine ... not as cute but it did look similar and the consistency was very much pudding.  The chia seeds do this gelatinous thing all on their own, pretty odd but supposedly that's what is good for you about them.  


Hubby tried it first and said "um ... it's supposed to be pudding?"  Uh oh - not a good sign.  I tasted a little bit and it wasn't at all sweet so I added a drizzle of honey on top and like the recipe pic some almonds.  I only had whole instead of sliced but an almond is an almond so threw a few on top.  

It was good but honestly not good enough for me to ever buy the almond milk or coconut milk with all the extra crap in it.  I looked up on line and you can make your own almond milk - that's a lot of effort though when I think I could easily make my own version with chia seeds and regular milk.  The author of the blog says she's not vegan and loves dairy but she tries to post vegan friendly recipes ... I suppose that's why she probably chose those instead of real dairy.  The chia seeds don't seem to really have a flavor of their own, more a texture so I'd think you could really play with it - milk and maple syrup as as sweetener?  Wow ... I'm getting a little brave.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.