Friday, April 19, 2013

Recipe Test: Tomato, Spinach & Feta Strata

Credit: diabeticlivingonline.com

Click here for full recipe

INGREDIENTS:

  • Whole wheat bread
  • Asparagus
  • Onion
  • Baby spinach
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Salt & pepper
  • Tomatoes
  • Feta
  • Basil 

I hate to admit I think this is my first "strata" ever.  I've seen tons of recipes for them and I guess I thought of them as just like a quiche.  This was NOT like a quiche.  In fact had I not known that there are six eggs in there I don't think I would have believed it.  


I will admit I added way more Feta than the recipe called for but it was so tempting and it did end up GOOD!



I admit I did NOT do what the recipe told me in terms of letting everything sit in the fridge for 4 hours.  Screw that!  I made this last night for dinner and started at 5PM ... I wanted my damn dinner.  I assumed it was about the bread soaking up the eggs so I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then in the oven it went.


I don't know what it would have ended up like had I let it sit but the result was damn good.  I assume the bread is why it didn't end up tasting like quiche - it expanded and the result was almost like a weird veggie sandwich.  Hubby liked it too!  

(Yes he's feeling great now and no longer a whiny pissy sick boy ... I didn't have a CHANCE at "hubby approved" while he was sick!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.