Sunday, February 3, 2013

Maybe I should rename my blog "The Awakening of Tessah Black"

This journey of mine is starting to become so much more than just about my health and weight loss.  I've been reading and on-line and watching videos ... slowly learning more and more.  I'm dumbfounded.  I feel so ... blind?  I guess that's the word.

In many ways I do understand how I could be blind of all of the issues surrounding our food industry.   I grew up in the heart of Iowa where corn & soybeans were king.  I grew up after packaged food and big grocery stores were the norm.  Yes there were the road side farmer stands but I only remember them for sweet corn.   My mother cooked from scratch but she fell hook line and sinker for the 'low fat' craze - I remember her talking about margarine vs. butter and how much better for you margarine was! Then I see on a video I watched today - Food Fight (you can watch it for free by clicking here) and I see an ad that presents Twinkies as healthy!  There is no difference ... in both cases many people just accepted it blindly.  If they say it on TV it must be true ...

I don't know what's true.  I do know that I'm loving eating these 'real' foods.  It's winter so I'm definitely not eating local right now.  I'm so new to this that I don't really have an understanding of what my options are there - but I'll find them.  I just want this to be simple ... and simple to me means staying on this path.  Fresh. Local. As close to how God created it as possible.  I also can't ignore how doing that will support so many other good things like supporting local sustainable farming & more humane treatment of animals.   And I also can't ignore what I will no longer be supporting.  In many ways that is almost more important.

Holy sh*t.  I'm turning into a crunchy granola new age hippie!  What the ?!  I just didn't want to be fat anymore!   Well ... so be it ... most of them are skinny right?

Photo Credit: http://www.fancydressoutlet.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2110

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to know you visited and what you think! I'm also thankful for any ideas, tips or suggestions as I'm still learning to cook and to live a real / whole foods lifestyle.